THE cold drink of Paraguay
Native to South America, yerba mate is traditionally consumed hot in a gourd(see our previous article).
But can it be consumed cold?
Well yes! We owe the cold infusion, which has become the national drink, to the Paraguayans, who created their own drink and called it Tereré.
At My Caffeine, we are already quite addicted to mate. So it was only natural that we decided to try Tereré, a thirst-quenching drink ideal for the hot summer days to come!
- 1 iced tea pitcher with filter
- about 750 ml of very cold water
- 5 to 10 tablespoons Matéina Citrus yerba mate (depending on how you like it)
- 1 squeezed lemon.
- 1/2 squeezed orange.
- 2 to 3 teaspoons of amber maple syrup.
- Lots of ice cubes or crushed ice.
- Add lemon and/or orange slices, mint leaves... to taste
- In your pitcher, pour very cold water.
- Add the squeezed lemon, squeezed orange and maple syrup.
- Then add the desired amount of yerba mate, stirring with a spoon so that all the mate is wet.
- Leave to infuse for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Take a glass, add ice, and pour the mate.
You can also drink it in your flask!
- To do this, follow the first and second steps, add the ice, but do not add the mate to the pitcher.
- Take your gourd, place your bombilla(filtering straw) and fill your gourd with the desired amount of mate.
- Pour the flavored water from the pitcher directly into your gourd and let it steep for a maximum of 5 minutes, and drink with the straw!
You can reinfuse your yerba mate in your gourd up to 20 times during the same day!
Do you know the yerba mate?
Discover our article on this plant excellent for health and very popular with athletes!